A wrist injury has forced Rafael Nadal to withdraw from the Shanghai Masters for the second year in a row, the world No.2 said on Friday.
Nadal pulled out of the Shanghai event due to the same injury that also cut short his participation in last month’s Laver Cup.
The 33-year-old, who claimed his 19th Grand Slam title at this year’s US Open, said that he had not had enough time to practice sufficiently due to inflammation in his left wrist.
“I am very sad to announce that I won’t be able to play in Shanghai this year. It is the second year in a row and in China I have great fans,” Nadal said in a statement.
“But, as you all probably know, I had an inflammation on my left wrist during the Laver Cup and I haven’t had the time to recover and practice to be ready… I hope to be back in Shanghai for the 2020 tournament.”
Two-times finalist Nadal’s withdrawal denies fans the chance to witness the reunion of the Big Four of men’s tennis at the October 6-13 tournament.
Roger Federer, Novak Djokovic and Andy Murray are all scheduled to feature.
It also hands Djokovic the advantage in the battle to seal the year-end No.1 ranking.
23 August 2016
You can recognise your favourite tennis players when they're on the court, but what about ... More
22 February 2016
How well do you know your lobs from your lets? Take this test to see if you can be the nex... More
13 December 2017
Tennis, for a time, wasn't exactly kind to Robin Soderling.From 2008 to 2011, he was among... More