Nadal back in business late Feb

Published by AAP

Rafael Nadal powers into the third round of the Australian Open; Getty Images
Spanish world No.1 Rafael Nadal says he will return to action at a hard-court event in Acapulco

Spanish world No.1 Rafael Nadal says he will return to action at a hard-court event in Acapulco, Mexico, in late February.

That means an encouragingly speedy recovery for the 16-time Grand Slam champion after he suffered a muscle tear in his right hip that forced him to retire in the fifth set of his quarter-final match at this month’s Australian Open.

Nadal said he planned to compete at Acapulco in the last week of February and then at two other hard-court tournaments in March – the BNP Paribas Open in Indian Wells and the Miami Open.

But the Spaniard, who is almost universally regarded as the greatest clay-court player of all time, said he was focused on being at top form at the “most important time of year”.

Nadal has in his sights the Monte-Carlo Masters, the Madrid Open, the Italian Open and the French Open – played between mid-April and early June.

Referring to his disappointing exit at the Australian Open, where he was forced to retire while trailing Croatia’s Marin Cilic 3-6 6-3 6-7 (5-7) 6-2 2-0, Nadal said the injury was just “a small tear, but it was impossible to keep going”.

Share this: 
  • Most popular articles

14 August 2018

Murray loses Cincinnati opener, Djokovic advances

Andy Murray's comeback from hip surgery hit another roadblock when he was beaten by France... More

16 August 2018

Haase upsets Zverev in Cincinnati, Djokovic wins

Alexander Zverev seemed to be cruising until Robin Haase wrested control of their second-r... More

15 August 2018

Kvitova beats Serena in Cincinnati classic

Petra Kvitova came out on top of a memorable clash in Cincinnati on Tuesday night, defeati... More

7 August 2018

Serena Williams opens up about off-court struggles

Serena Williams admits she was in a "funk" after the heaviest loss of her career, fearing ... More