Nadal joins Rotterdam withdrawal list

Published by AP

Rafael Nadal cited the need for rest after withdrawing from the ATP Rotterdam event; Getty Images
Not long after Stan Wawrinka announced he would skip the ATP event in Rotterdam, the tournament has been dealt another hit with Rafael Nadal’s withdrawal.

Australian Open finalist Rafael Nadal has pulled out of next week’s Rotterdam tennis event, saying he needs to rest.

Organisers say the top-seeded Spaniard’s doctors told him to take it easy after his surprise run in Melbourne that ended in a five-set loss to Roger Federer.

In a statement, Nadal says his doctors advised rest “to give my body time to recover before I play matches again.”

Tournament director Richard Krajicek says he tried unsuccessfully to get Federer or a top-five ranked player to replace Nadal.

On Tuesday, Stan Wawrinka pulled out of the tournament with a knee injury.

Share this: 
  • Most popular articles

28 March 2017

Grunting: The issue that won’t go away

Grunting. It’s a conversation - or argument - that has dogged tennis for a number of yea... More

26 May 2016

Do you know the rules of tennis?

How confidently could you answer these questions about the rules of tennis?1. Can you star... More

30 December 2019

Second-serve return in the men’s game: an exploration

Nick Kyrgios’ first-round win over Andrey Rublev at last year’s Kremlin Cup in Moscow ... More

7 December 2017

Who’s who in Novak’s team?

After calling time on his 2017 season with an elbow injury in July, Novak Djokovic is look... More